Changes to the Holidays Act 2003 and the Employment Relations Act 2000 have been passed by Parliament.
The Employment Relations Amendment Act 2010 and Holidays Amendment Act 2010 introduce a wide range of legislative amendments. Most changes for both Acts will come into effect on 1 April, 2011.
The main changes to the Holidays Act include:
*The ability for employees to cash in a maximum of one week of annual holidays.
* Transferring public holidays to another working day.
The main changes to the Employment Relations Act include:
* Extending trial periods to all employers
* Changes to the personal grievance provisions
* Requiring consent to be given before a union can access a workplace, and confirming communication with employees can occur during collective bargaining.
* Requiring employers to retain employment agreements
* Extending the role and powers of labour inspectors.
Let us know what you think about the changes. Do you think it is fair for both employee and employer?
To learn about the changes to these acts in more detail please visit the Department of Labour website by following this link